The Book of Zohar. Chapter “Who Is Your Partner?” (abridged)
61. Rabbi Shimon said: “How much effort should man exert in the Torah day and night, for the Creator is stern to those who draw near Him. And with every word that man attains by his efforts in the Torah, he builds a firmament.”
62. When the Torah is renewed by one’s mouth (the Light of Hochma is revealed in the Masach of Peh de Rosh), that renewal (new correction) ascends and appears before the Creator (in the World of Infinity). And the Creator (the general Light of Hochma) accepts this wisdom (the newly revealed Light of Hochma), kisses it (joins with it), and adorns it with seventy adornments (Sefirot of the soul’s body). And the renewed wisdom (the Light of Hochma) ascends and settles on the head of the righteous that revive the worlds, and then flies, soaring through 70,000 worlds, until it ascends to Atik, the Sefira Keter. And all that exists in Atik is concealed, Supernal Wisdom.
63. And this hidden wisdom, which is renewed here in this world, ascends and joins with Partzuf Atik, enters 18 worlds, where “No eye has seen the Creator besides you.” The souls emerge from there and appear before Atik, complete and perfect. Meanwhile, Atik adorns them with 370,000 adornments – and the wisdom is transformed into a firmament.
64. And thus, man’s every correction in this world creates firmaments, the new Heavens, which appear before Partzuf Atik – they are “renewed firmaments,” concealed by Supernal Wisdom. And all the other parts of the Torah that are not renewed by means of Supernal Wisdom appear before the Creator, ascend and become “the lands of life” (Artzot HaChaim). They then descend and adorn the land – and out of all the renewed a new land comes into being.
65. It is written, “When the new land and the new Heavens, which I make.” It is written “I make,” in present tense, for they are made from revealing the secrets of the Torah. And it is written of this: “And I shall place it in your mouth, and in the shadow of your hands’ garments, that I may take the Heavens (renewed by the Torah), and lay the foundations of the land.”
66. What is the meaning of “in the shadow of your hands’ garments”? – When the Torah was passed to Moshe, thousands of angels appeared so as to raze him with the flames of their mouths. But the Creator protected him. So now, when the renewal in the Torah ascends and appears before the Creator, He protects it and shelters the one who performed it, so as to prevent the angels from finding out and envying him, until new Heaven and earth are made out of this renewal in the Torah. Hence, it is said, “To take the Heavens and lay the foundations of the land from the shadow of your hands’ garments.”
67. The Creator said to these gates and to the words of the Torah, renewed by Him: “Who are you with? You are my partners. Just as I make the Heavens and the earth with My words, as it is written, ‘By the Creator’s word were the Heavens made,’ so you create new Heavens and earth by your (correction) labor in the Torah.”
68. However, if the renewal of the Torah by one who does not even know what he is saying, creates a firmament, then one who does not aspire to reveal the secrets of the Torah, all that he renews ascends, and the reverse side of man (the male part of the impure force), and the false tongue (from Nukva of the impure force, called Tehom Raba – great abyss), and the reversed man skips 500 Parsaot (measures of distance) to receive this renewal of the Torah, takes it and makes a false firmament out of it, called Tohu (abyss).
69. The reversed man then flies across the empty firmament, traversing 6,000 Parsaot, stops, an impure woman emerges, who supports this empty firmament, she leaves it and slays hundreds of thousands, for she receives the power to fly and traverse the whole world in an instant.
70. It is written of it: “Do not facilitate fruitless transgression.” Transgression is related to the male part. The impure Nukva (the female force) draws the male impure part to fruitlessness. And then, as a result, a transgression is committed, as the male part draws the souls towards this Nukva, who grows strong and slays people. And many does she slay thereby. And who is it that caused all this? It is those that study the Torah, but do not attain “Ohrah and Morah” – Light and bestowal!
71. Rabbi Shimon said to his friends, “I beg of you not to utter any discernments from the Torah, so that they don’t hear from the Great Tree of Truth. Do not assist the impure Nukva in slaying people. They all opened and mouthed: “Save us, O Merciful One!”
72. Come and see, the Creator created the whole world by the Torah. And He looked into the Torah four times before He created the world. This should show people how not to err.
73. Opposite these four times, the Creator saw, counted, prepared, and investigated what He had created. Even before He had created it. It is therefore written, “In the beginning the Creator Et (article)” – four words, corresponding to the four above. And then, it is written: “Heaven” – opposite all four words, for the Creator looked into the Torah before He began to manifest His thought into reality.
5 Things You Should Know About the Zohar